Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorMathematics Department
dc.date.accessioned2021-06-18T17:49:00Z
dc.date.available2021-06-18T17:49:00Z
dc.date.issued1965
dc.identifier.otherStout Series 239
dc.identifier.urihttp://digital.library.wisc.edu/1793/82152
dc.descriptionThe first mathematics courses taught at Stout began in 1918 with the arrival of H.F. Good. At the time, "Such portions of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry as are useful to the teacher of industrial arts are studied and their application in industrial operations taught." Two years later, Francis E. Tustison was hired to set up the mathematics and physics department for the Stout's four-year curriculum. In the 1920s the Department of Science and Mathematics became firmly entrenched in the Stout curriculum. Anne Marshall became head of the department in 1945. She was to hold this title until the independent Mathematics Department was formed in 1964. Earl Gierkewas was named as head of the department in the same year. He had been hired two years prior to this to develop a major in applied math--a major that was first offered in 1967. Richard Miller became head of the department in 1971 and was in turn replaced by John Hunt in 1980.en_US
dc.description.abstractThis collection contains correspondence, memos, and course handouts for the mathematics department.en_US
dc.language.isoen_USen_US
dc.subjectUniversity of Wisconsin--Stout. Mathematics Department.en_US
dc.subjectMathematicsen_US
dc.subjectUniversity of Wisconsin--Stout -- College teachersen_US
dc.subjectUniversity of Wisconsin--Stout -- Studentsen_US
dc.titleFinding Aid for Mathematics Departmental Files, 1965-1975en_US
dc.typeOtheren_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record