Finding Aid for Mathematics Departmental Files, 1965-1975
MetadataShow full item record
This collection contains correspondence, memos, and course handouts for the mathematics department.
University of Wisconsin--Stout. Mathematics Department.
University of Wisconsin--Stout -- College teachers
University of Wisconsin--Stout -- Students
The first mathematics courses taught at Stout began in 1918 with the arrival of H.F. Good. At the time, "Such portions of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry as are useful to the teacher of industrial arts are studied and their application in industrial operations taught." Two years later, Francis E. Tustison was hired to set up the mathematics and physics department for the Stout's four-year curriculum. In the 1920s the Department of Science and Mathematics became firmly entrenched in the Stout curriculum. Anne Marshall became head of the department in 1945. She was to hold this title until the independent Mathematics Department was formed in 1964. Earl Gierkewas was named as head of the department in the same year. He had been hired two years prior to this to develop a major in applied math--a major that was first offered in 1967. Richard Miller became head of the department in 1971 and was in turn replaced by John Hunt in 1980.