Finding Aid for School of Liberal Studies General Files, 1963-1988
School of Liberal Studies
MetadataShow full item record
These files include correspondence, reports, budget information, information sent by external organizations, information regarding academic departments of the School of Liberal Studies, Minutes of the Liberal Studies Council, and other miscellaneous material.
University of Wisconsin--Stout. School of Liberal Studies.
Liberal arts classes were offered at Stout as early as 1903. However, it wasn't until John Erle Grinnel arrived on campus in 1932 that the Department of Liberal Arts was created. At that time the department consisted of four divisions: Division of science and Mathematics, the Division of English Language and Literature, the Division of Social Studies, and the Division of Education. In the 1940's and 1950's liberal arts at Stout expanded, largely due to the pressure from accrediting agencies. In 1964, the School of Liberal Studies was formed with Dwight Agnew as the first Dean. At that time the Art and Music departments were combined into two separate departments. The purpose of the new school was to provide direct professional preparation and career preparation. In 1977, Ted Baker replaced Agnew as the Dean of the School. Baker, in turn, was replaced by Gerane Dougherty in 1980. As of 1989, the School of Liberal Studies included Depts. of Art and Design, Biology, Chemistry, English, Math Music, Physical Education and Athletics, Physics, Social Science, Speech and Foreign Language.