Finding Aid for Phi Sigma Phi Omega Chapter Records, 1932-1992
Phi Sigma Phi Omega Chapter
MetadataShow full item record
This collection includes organization records, including meeting minutes, financial materials, and ephemera, for the Omega Chapter of Phi Sigma Phi at Stout.
University of Wisconsin--Stout -- Societies and clubs
University of Wisconsin--Stout -- Greek letter societies
Societies and clubs -- Greek letter societies -- Male college students
In 1929, Kappa Phi Sigma was formed to promote knowledge, friendship, and social life among college men. This fraternal organization, only the second formed on campus, was recognized as a college group in the autumn of 1932. Supported by twenty initial members, the chapter quickly became one of the leading organizations on campus. Over the next twenty years, K.F.S. participated in various activities on campus, which included the crowning of several Homecoming and Prom Queens , the building of sophisticated parade floats, and the organizing of eloquent school dances including the annual "Orchids for M'Lady" Dance and the Spring Formal Dinner Dance. In addition, the chapter often competed with other campus organizations in grudge matches, bridge tournaments, pledge initiations, skits, and other recreational activities. Despite the heavy toll World War II had on membership, the chapter never ceased operations during the period. In 1952, K.F.S. had become so prominent on campus, the men captured the attention of Phi Sigma Epsilon, a national fraternity founded in 1910, and based in Indianapolis, Indiana. On May 17, 1952, K.F.S. was installed as the Omega Chapter of Phi Sigma Epsilon at the Hotel Marion. Over the next eighteen years, the Phi Sigs continued to grow on campus. Although now a national organization, the Phi Sigs continued to grow on campus. Although now a national organization the Phi Sigs never changed their philosophy of participation in campus and local community activities. The men were instrumental in giving blood, organizing paper drives and Florida Vacations for students running for S.S.A. positions on campus. In 1965, the Phi Sigs began a tradition of firing a cannon at campus football games whenever the home team scored a touchdown. In the seventies, the image of Phi Sigs and other fraternities began to suffer for the first time due to the Vietnam conflict and changing student attitudes promoting individuality on campus. Chapter membership declined precipitously through the period as fraternity members were viewed at first by the campus body as militaristic in nature and then as pure socializers. By 1985, heavily in debt and with no national representation, the three remaining members of the Omega Chapter vowed to continue onward. On June 30, 1988, the Omega Chapter vowed to continue onward. On June 30, 1988, the omega Chapter became a part of Phi Sigma Phi National Fraternity, a organization founded on the principles of the absorbed P.S.E. Fraternity.