Wisconsin Atomic Spectroscopy Seminar--Jimfest 2018
- Thad Walker, Scott Bergeson, "JimFest Overview"
- Scott Bergeson, Brigham Young University, “High energy density plasma simulations using ultracold neutral plasmas”
- Elizabeth DenHartog, University of Wisconsin-Madison, “UW Laboratory Astrophysics”
- Maria-Teresa Herd, Mt. Holyoke College, “High precision spectroscopy on cesium-133”
- Chris Sneden, University of Texas, “A Fresh Look at Abundances of Iron-group Elements in Very Metal-Poor Stars”
- Ian Roederer, University of Michigan (Physics Department Colloquium Speaker), “The astrophysical r-process: what we are learning from gravitational waves, dwarf galaxies, and stellar archaeology”
- Gillian Nave, National Institute of Standards and Technology, “Measurements of branching fractions using Fourier transform and grating spectroscopy”
- Eric Benck, National Institute of Standards and Technology, "Downstream hydrogen plasma cleaning for mass metrology at NIST"
- Thad Walker, University of Wisconsin-Madison, “Jim Lawler’s Science: Above and Below the H-Line”
- Michael Wood, University of St. Thomas, “Six Lines to Tell a Story”
- Uwe Kortshagen, University of Minnesota, “From nonlocal electrons to delocalized electrons and artificial atoms”
- Ken Menningen, UW Stevens Point, “How I Became a Non-Chemist”
- Graeme Lister, Lighting Consultant, "Gas Discharge Lamps- A Requiem"
- David Huber, University of Wisconsin-Madison, “2+ Ion Concentration and the Double Photoionization of Aromatic Organic Molecules”
- David Nitz et. al, St. Olaf College and NIST, “Transition Probabilities for Neutral Cerium from Boltzmann Analysis of Fourier Transform Spectra”
(2018-06-01)On International Metrology Day, May 20, 2019, the redefinition of the International System of Units (SI) is scheduled to be implemented. When this occurs the kilogram, the last remaining unit defined by a physical artifact, ...
(2018-04-30)The measurement of lifetimes using laser-induced fluorescence at the University of Wisconsin-Madison has been one of the most productive experiments in the measurement of atomic spectroscopic data. The NIST bibliographic ...
(2018-04-27)Strongly-coupled Coulomb systems are typically fluid-like plasmas characterized by the ratio of the nearest-neighbor electrical potential energy to the average kinetic energy. When this ratio is near unity, the plasmas are ...
(2018-04-27)In this talk I will describe the laboratory astrophysics program of the Jim Lawler group at the University of Wisconsin – Madison, focusing on the laboratory techniques and instruments used for the measurement of transition ...
(2018-04-27)I will start with a few observations of connections between spectroscopy and other (seemingly unrelated) research topics, then focus on Doppler free spectroscopy on the 7p J=1/2 and 7p J=3/2 states in neutral cesium-133. ...
(2018-04-27)Studies of very metal-poor stars have focused attention on the neutron-capture (Z > 30) elements, whose dramatic star-to-star variations give us insights to element production in extreme, explosive nucleosynthesis environments. ...
The astrophysical r-process: what we are learning from gravitational waves, dwarf galaxies, and stellar archaeology (2018-04-27)Understanding the origin of the elements is one of the major challenges of modern astrophysics. The rapid neutron-capture process, or r-process, is one of the fundamental ways that stars produce the elements listed along ...
(2018-04-27)In this talk, I will highlight a recently completed investigation into a challenge brought against our earlier work on vanadium. The discrepancy between six transition probabilities and its resolution touches on several ...
(2018-04-27)After spending a portion of his career on nonlocal electron kinetics in plasmas, the speaker entered a new phase of his career with plasma materials synthesis. The talk will discuss how plasmas can be used to synthesize, ...
(2018-04-27)Some scientists direct their careers with laser focus to answer a small set of questions. Others wander around like a trapped photon. I will tell the story about how a plasma physicist ended up studying combustion chemistry, ...
(2018-04-27)This presentation gives an overview of Jim Lawler's career, focusing on a few of his important contributions to science.
(2018-04-27)Almost a century has passed since the introduction into the market of gas discharge lamps for general lighting in the form of fluorescent lamps, made possible by the discovery of phosphors able to convert ultra-violet (UV) ...
(2018-04-27)Overview of the 2018 Wisconsin Atomic Spectroscopy Seminar in honor of Prof. James E. Lawler. Includes biographical information and the scientific program.
(2018-04-27)Explanation of double photoionization experiments
(2018-04-27)Poster presentation on Cerium transition probabilities