|dc.description.abstract||The study was concerned with the development of the
Campus School of the Wisconsin State University at La Crosse,
from 1871 to 1970.
It was the purpose of this study to: (1) describe the
establishment of the Campus School; (2) explain the function
and philosophy of the Campus School; (3) recount some of the
challenges that were met in building a new school; (4) describe some changes made in the curriculum through the years;
(5) describe a few of the extra-curricular activities; and
(6) describe events at the time of writing this paper concerning
the possible closing of the school.
Information for this paper was gathered from both
primary and secondary sources. The primary source materials
included unpublished papers of the late Emery W. Leamer,
director of the school from 1925 to 1952; an interview with
Alice Drake, a member of the college faculty from 1931 to
1932; interviews with Elmer Lysaker, Margaret Linfeld Annett,
and Barbara Emmert Tyznik, former pupils in the Campus School;
and unpublished copies of the health program established in
the Campus School.
Other sources included copies of the La Crosse Tribune,
bulletins and catalogues of Wisconsin State University at La
Crosse, and clippings from various sources which were available
in the La Crosse Public Library and the archives of the Murphy
Library of WSU at La Crosse.
The director of the Campus School, Richard E. Rasmussen,
allowed the researcher to examine copies of annual
reports and other papers in his files.
The laboratory schools have been an integral part of
the teacher-training institutions since the first normal
school was built in the United States in 1823.
The Campus School of the Wisconsin State University
at La Crosse was established in conjunction with the college
in 1909, and was located on the first floor of the one college
The primary purpose for its establishment, as stated
in 1909, was to educate children. Its other purposes were
to serve as a model school and to give student teachers a
place to observe teaching demonstrations, as well as an
opportunity to teach. The philosophy of the Campus School
was to develop happy, well-adjusted children.||